Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Staging Event

That's what they call it - 2 days (more or less) in Washington, D.C. to meet our group, get our shots, and learn juust enough about the PC and our role therein to get on the plane. So far, I count 3 pillars of success, a triangle of support related to our VSSS (which has 5 components), and a wedge (within a Venn diagram) where we will do our most productive work.
I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but right now I'm focused on repacking--it's probably not such a hot idea to put all my toiletries in my carry-on--and gearing up for departure. Tomorrow! Yowza!
That's not til the evening, though. In the morning we have vaccinations. Which are exciting too, in their way.

Anyway, there are 20 of us, about evenly split between secondary math and science teachers, IT trainers, and primary teacher trainers like me. To give you an idea: 14 women, 6 men; 1 married couple; some kids fresh out of college, a couple of middle-aged types, and the rest of us somewhere in between. My roommate Kristy brought her mandolin, which came in handy for our final presentation - a song about The Importance of Integrating into One's Host Community. Sounds cumbersome, but know that another group was assigned an interpretive dance that expresses the Peace Corps Approach to Development. No kidding. Herewith, the lyrics:

To the tune of "Rocky Top," best sung high and lonesome

Integrate into your community
Do as the Gambians do
Eat their food and belch politely
If that's what they say you should do

Gambia, you may not be
Home sweet home to me
But we will integrate
Into your community
[note the clever/thrifty line recycling! I think we're going to take this on the road.]

You may find the customs surprising
The heat really hard to bear
Just remember to dress professional
Bring something cool to wear

Gambia, some day you'll be
Home sweet home to me
Good ole Gambia
Be our community
Good ole Gambia...
Be our community.
Words to live by.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Walker said...

I would like you to elaborate further on the cheerful "Parasites" poster visible behind you and the mandolin.

Viet Pat said...

SO Many well-meaning whitegirls.
And I really, Really like the cheery parasites poster.

Anonymous said...

I, too, enjoy the parasite poster. That should be your tour poster when you take your show on the road.

Susan said...

just noticed the parasites poster - shows how observant I am. Cute -
anyway - send me your size sometime - since I do spend an awful lot of time at the local goodwill - teacher/librarian dresses might come up frequently.

Susan said...

the two girls in the middle have scary red eyes - you two on the ends don't. I'd think aliens.

Blair said...

We're actually thinking of calling our band The Parasites, but we're holding off til we can translate that into a local language. In the meantime, stay tuned for the next hot single: Revenge of the Mango!